- All lists must have either a faculty member/a full-time staff member/Students must have their Faculty advisor listed as the primary owner. The primary owner must be affiliated with the University of Connecticut or with an institution affiliated with the State of Connecticut.
- Requests for new lists will be reviewed before creation. They should pertain to one of the following broad categories related to the functioning of the University of Connecticut or its affiliates
- Instruction Administrative
- Lists for academic associations will be accepted, but must be sponsored by a member of the UConn faculty or staff or an affiliated institution.
- Departmental or class lists will be accepted.
Request for a new List:
A request form is available to request a new discussion list. It can be obtained from http://help.listserv.uconn.edu/forms
When you have filled in all fields, you can click on the SEND button to have it sent to the LISTSERV administrator.
Please allow up to 7 working days for a new list to be defined. The owners will be notified via e-mail when the list is defined.
Below are the settings and standards to be followed while filling up the List creation form:
These are users who will be administrators to the List. They can perform all actions on the List they own such as Adding/removing subscribers, modifying the configuration etc.
- Names for discussion lists should end with the characters -L, for example TEST-L.
- Departmental lists should end with -DL, for example TEST-DL.
- Departmental graduate student lists should end with -GL, for example TEST-GL.
- The name of the list should stay within 32 characters
Tip: When selecting a name for your list, try to be as descriptive as possible while keeping the names short; these names will be easier to remember and type. Include an “_” character between words in your list name, for example TEST_DEPARTMENT-L. Also, avoid using dates or seasons as part of the name.
* (anyone outside UConn.Edu)
This value defines the target audience for the list. If you intend to include users with email addresses outside of the uconn.edu domain, select the second option as well. For the default, include the UCONN.EDU domain ONLY.
Service / Confidential:
The default value is Service. This indicates that only those in the defined service area (i.e. potential subscribers) will see the list. If you want your list to be confidential and not be displayed, even if a user issues the LISTS command, select Yes. Choose No if you want your list to be visible to everyone, even those outside the organization.
Note: If the Service Area is *, you must still check Confidential=No to make the list seen world-wide via the LISTS GLOBAL command. Also note: with Service=* and Confidential=Service the the list will be seen by anyone issuing a LISTS command directly to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.UCONN.EDU but not to someone issuing the LISTS GLOBAL command.
Possible values:Open,Confirm; By owner; Closed
- The default is Open,Confirm. This means that anyone within the defined service area may subscribe themselves to the list. The Confirm parameter means that subscription requests outside the local domain (UCONN.EDU) must be confirmed before they take effect.
- By Owner value means that only owners of the list can add/remove subscribers to the list.
- Closed means that nobody can manually add/remove users to the List.
- Possible values: Private Editor Editor,Hold Owner
- The Send keyword defines who may post to the list.
- Default value is Private. This indicates that only current subscribers can post to the list.
- Editor indicates that all postings will be forwarded to the first editor defined for this list, or to the list’s moderators, if defined. Posting can be approved by forwarding them back to the list.
- For Editor,Hold postings can be approved using reply and ok.
- Owner indicates that only list owners may post to the list.
- Possible values: List and Sender
- Default is List. This value defines where replies to the list should go to.
- Possible values are No and Yes.
- This parameter indicates if an archive should be saved for the List and its postings. These can be searched using Listserv search commands. Default value is No.
- If Yes, the notebook will be saved monthly.
- Notebooks will be kept on the LISTSERV machine for up to 12 months.
- Possible values are No; Yes,Daily; Yes,Weekly; Yes,Monthly.
- Users who set their subscription to digest will get one piece of mail containing all the posts to list over the period of time you select.
- Default value is No.
More information on Listserv is available at http://help.listserv.uconn.edu/info